August 14, 2006

Disappointed Chopstick Pride


I had felt proud a bit of myself using chopsticks before. As I saw my chopsticks picking up a very tiny bean up on the dinner plate, I used to be fascinated by my skillful fingers like Wing Biddlebaum's from the novel "Winesberg, Ohio" of Sherwood Anderson.

On a Saturday, years ago, I volunteered for a goodwill guide for a group of 4 Americans. After showing Changdeokgung (Palace), a tourist site, I lead them to Sadong Myeonok in Insa-dong, Seoul, a famous restaurant where is good to have lunch together. As we were waiting on what we ordered (Mandu Jeongol), I imagined they might have troubles with using chopsticks so that I prepared my own instruction to show them how to use chopsticks.

Meal was served, and I was about to 'begin' to teach it.
However, 3 of them already knew how to use them. And then, those 3 taught the other for sure. It took only 2 minutes for the last man to get used to it. I just saw what was happening out of my plan, and sealed my lips just glancing at the chopstick genii.

I thought chopstick world is all about Asians only. Yes. It is. According to the Chosun Ilbo, about 1,500,000,000 people are using chopsticks in the world. And more than 80% of it is by Koreans, Japaneses, Chineses. But I couldn't help admitting their chopsticks for fun almost looked like mine for more than 20 years.

As a matter of fact, there are differences of chopstick achievements between Koreans. I am in a poorer group. Because I don't follow the known 'FM' (field manual) correctly. While in the desirable method 4th finger should support second chopstick, I support it with 3rd finger. Chopstick users might know how big difference it causes. I can't pick up 'a grain' of rice with my way even though I can do any bigger thing than that. However in reality, many people think it is enough if chopsticks can help eating at least. So less people are trying so hard to be 'expert level' chopstick user with the 'best' method. DJ DOC, a korean group, sang in the song "Dance with the DOC."(lyrics / song) like below.

젓가락질 잘해야만 밥을 먹나요
잘못해도 서툴러도 밥 잘먹어요
그러나 주위사람 내가 밥먹을때 한마디씩 하죠(너 밥상에 불만있냐?)
옆집 아저씨와 밥을 먹었지그아저씨 내 젓가락질 보고 뭐라 그래
하지만 난 이게 좋아 편해 밥만 잘먹지 나는 나예요 상관말아요
Can we have a meal only if we are great at chopsticks?
Even bad or poor at them, there's nothing to deal with my meals.
But when I have a meal people around me say a word 'Do you feel any bad at the dining table?'
I had rice with the man (
Ajeossi) next door.
He blamed my chopstick using.
But I like it and feel this way comfortable. No problem at all.

That's just me, myself. None of your business YO!
(translated by me, the rest omitted)

I still prefer my way to the way it is originally supposed to be.
In my chopstick life, I feel uncomfortable only when needed to pick up 'a grain' of rice that normally doesn't happen a lot. But I will toss this job to my children to do it correctly^^a.

Here comes the correct chopstick use. (source: How to use Chopsticks)


1. Hold the stationary stick with slight pressure between the second
joint of the thumb and the index finger.
Support it with the ring finger and little finger.


2. Hold the moving stick between the thumb, index and middle fingers as you would hold a pen.


3. To open the ends of chopsticks, lift the middle finger up.
If you can't do it, please push the supporting point of the ring finger with the other index finger.


4. Drop the middle finger down to shut the ends of the chopsticks.
If you can't do it well, please push the supporting point on the ring finger with the other index finger.



OK, heroes. Let's show your skillful chopstick movement and dissappoint other Koreans!

1 comment:

Jiyoung said...

Dear Qinella

Thank you for your kind comment.
OK. I agree with you all.
And, I'm sorry for your uncomfortableness.
Though my readers often find a prejudice in my words, that's what I mean.
Below is my excuse for making you embarrased and insulted.
What I always try to show here is the real common sense in Korea--what Koreans have in mind for real.
I know some of my words will prove that Korean people have wrong information.
If they do, I want to show that to the outside of Korea. I know that is how many people know it and correct it.

Suppose that I'm so careful that I write just things not to be blamed. That prejudice will be kept in Korea longer than enough so that it will be able to help a bigger result in the future.
And only people like you can let me know how many bad understandings Koreans have in mind. I appreciate that you just did a very important job completing my picture.

I really hope my excuse make sense.
I want to keep writing about good or bad common senses of Koreans although they are sick:)

I've heard of index finger, but never heard of 'pinky'. I like it:) Thanks.